Airgap.it is a cryptocurrency wallet that makes use of your old smartphone as a hardware wallet. Yea, it’s quite a complicated wallet system that ensures high level of security of your cryptocurrencies. AirGap uses a two device(smartphone) approach to totally secure your coins and tokens.
It makes use of an old smartphone with no internet connection to create your private keys, store and sign transactions. And a normal modern smartphone with internet connection to prepare/create transactions which would be signed/cleared for transaction by the old smartphone. Although, it can also make use of one device approach to secure your coins and tokens.
The AirGap Approach
With AirGap’s two device approach, you can sign transactions completely offline on a device without any network connectivity with the AirGap Vault application and broadcast them with your every-day smartphone with the AirGap Wallet app.
The most secure private key generation in the industry
Airgap enhanced entropy concept adds video, audio, accelerator and touch data to the entropy seed alongside the device’s pre-shipped secure random generator in order to generate a cryptographically secure seed used for the secret generation.
Dedicated secure storage, the private key is saved in the secure enclave of the mobile device and needs multi-step biometric authentication every time it is accessed.
Secure key handling with social recovery option, for example, split a private key into 4 shares, but only 3 shares are needed for a full recovery of the key. Based on Shamir‘s Secret Sharing Standard.
Continuous checks for network connectivity, root access and screenshot detection in order to avoid the device being compromised.
Prepares new transactions; the generated transaction QR is then scanned by the Vault and signed with the private key.
After successful signing of the transaction with the AirGap Vault, the AirGap Wallet app can now transmit the signed transaction to the Blockchain.
Only Uses Public Data
Within the AirGap Wallet app, only public available data, which is on the blockchain, is used. The private key is only stored and used in the AirGap Vault.
With the Exchange support in AirGap Wallet, swaps can be made directly in-App without having to transfer funds to an exchange and then creating an order. Seamlessly exchange Tezos, Ethereum, Bitcoin and æternity ERC20 directly inside AirGap Wallet.
Delegation & Baking
AirGap has with the baker tezosAirGap a validator for the Proof of Stake protocol Tezos. XTZ holders can earn a share of the validation reward by delegating their Tezzies to a baker. Delegating to tezosAirGap can be made directly in AirGap Wallet.
Airgap.it Browser Extension bridges the Desktop with the AirGap Vault. Offering secure interactions with protocols directly out of the browser and signing transaction within the offline device in AirGap Vault.
Open Source Project
This project is open source and will stay open source. The are happy for any help! Issues reporting, new feature request or pull requests are more than welcome.
Zebpay is a Singapore-based offering a simple and easy-to-use crypto wallet services. The wallet is available for both iOS and Android devices and comes with a host of extra features to make the user experience rewarding as well as enjoyable. KYC is required to use Zebpay’s services.
Tips for securely storing your Airgap.it
- Do your own research. Before sending any coins or private data to a wallet, make sure you have researched the wallet provider to make sure everything is above board. Keep an eye out for scam wallets, such as those using URLs only slightly different to the URLs of legitimate wallet providers, and check out some independent reviews for all the pros and cons.
- Back it up. Make use of your wallet’s back-up and restore facility so that if something ever goes wrong with your wallet, you’ll be able to recover your funds.
- Set a strong password. Now is not the time to be lazy when creating a password; take your time to create a strong and uncrackable code.
- Make use of all available security features. Make the most of all the security features your wallet offers, such as two-factor authentication or multi-signature transactions. It’ll offer increased protection for your funds and greater peace of mind for you.
- Update your antivirus software. Take care to regularly update the antivirus protection and anti-malware software on any device you will be using to access your wallet.
- Keep your private keys private. Last but not least, don’t underestimate the importance of your private keys. Store them somewhere safe and don’t share them with anyone else.